Simply gently diffuse in a cold air diffuser. Scent is deeply personal so it is important to find essential oils that resonate with positive memories for you. In general the citrus oils are wonderful to provide uplift.
Here are a few of my personal favourites to use at the moment:-
- Orange (citrus sinesis) whose warm sunny sweet aroma infuses joy into a space, unblocks and circulates stagnant energy and calms tension when we feel overwhelmed.
- Lemon (citrus limon) whose antiviral properties are extremely helpful introduces clarity, lightening and refreshing the mood and lifting tension.
- Melissa (melissa officinalis) or lemon balm offers immune support, cooling and soothing for the heart, reduces agitated emotions and anxiety imbuing “gentle strength and fearless serenity”. (Gabriel Mojay)
- Eucalyptus (eucalyptus globulus) is a well known immune tonic, aiding in opening up the lungs allowing us to breathe more deeply. It also dispels sadness and restores vitality and optimism
- Lavender (lavandula angustifolia) is soothing and calming, encouraging balance while reducing fear and anxiety. It has been described as “a crisis smoother” (herbalist Peter Holmes)
- Tea tree (melaleuca alternifolia)is said to build strength and confidence and is said to be an outstanding airborne antimicrobial and arial antiseptic. When used in conjunction with lavender and geranium has been found to be most active against MRSA (Edward Jones et al 2004)
- Cedarwood (cedrus atlantica or juniperus virginiana) is said to increase endurance during difficult times and supports confidence in challenging situations. it is a very grounding oil and is said to lift our mood when we are feeling destabilised. According to Gabriel Mojay cedarwood gives “immoveable strength in times of crisis”